[Home] [Organization] [Join] [Membership] [Newsletter] [Events] [Freight Audit] [Feedback]
saved the office furniture industry over 10 million dollars in freight
costs in the past ten years alone.
Founded back on May 18, 1923 -- over 76
years ago, OFDA has been working diligently and intellectually to hold
down freight costs in the office furniture industry. Today we find
our task to be more important than ever to protect a 13 billion dollar
office furniture industry with a 650 million dollar freight bill.. Here's
- Panels & Partitions Case - saved the industry
over $4 million in freight costs by holding the LTL rating at Class 70
on straight (not curved) panels.
- Credenza Case - saved the industry over $1 million in
freight costs by holding LTL rating at Class 125 (carriers wanted
- Metal Filing Cabinet Case - saved industry over $7
million by holding LTL rating at Class 85 for 20 months. Even after
Class 100 went into effect January 21, 1995, additional savings are
running because original carrier proposal could have been submitted at
Class 125 or Class 150.
- Pre-Audit of Freight Bills - for one shipper we cut
down freight bills by some $5000 per month for a $600 fee.
- Post-Audit of Freight
Bills - at a 50% fee of recovered money. Some members have realized
recoveries of $20,000 to $100,000.
- Pool distribution studies - just one study resulted
in an annual freight savings of $667,000 for one member.
- Packaging studies - one result was a $150,000 annual
savings in freight cost at no additional cost in packaging.
- RGA Studies - saving one chair shipper $15,000
- Delivered pricing studies - have performed or
assisted in performing six studies for our industry. All have resulted
- Carrier negotiations and discounts - always results
in better pricing and saves members tens of thousands annually.
- Waivers by carriers of assessorials - again thousands
saved by eliminating inside deliveries, notifies, single-shipment
pick-ups, etc. where volume warrants.
- Educated members as to linear foot, minimum density
and capacity load rules. By changing shipping methods, members have
saved tens of thousands of freight dollars annually.
- Drawing up carrier contracts - for just $50.00 per
contract carrier a members investment protects them against
undercharge claims (balance due freight bills) from bankrupt carriers.
No immediate savings but produces peace of mind against future
- Bill of Lading description and classification studies
- includes any and all B/L issues. Results in tens of thousands in
freight savings because we find the best and lowest lawfully filed
class rating for your products.
- Inbound freight studies - we identify suppliers who
are shipping to members indiscriminately (ex. twice per day, three
times per week) and contact the supplier. Savings can run $25,000 to
$50,000 per year - sometimes per supplier.
- Customer shipping analysis - eliminate shipping same
customer twice per day or three times per week LTL and save $20,000 to
- Stop-off trailer studies - used in conjunction with
pool distribution can result in savings of $1000 per 48 foot of office
furniture. Eliminates large partials going LTL.
- Specialized furniture carrier studies - advise
shipper members to use blanket- wrap carriers (TL and LTL) and save up
to $500 per trailer in packaging cost plus load more product on same
- Plant selection site and distribution center studies
- proper geographical location is critical, not only cutting freight
costs but enabling overnight delivery to maximum number of customers..
- Damage Claim and Receiving Procedure Manuals - we
provide can your customers with a tailor made brochure to help them
properly receive freight and correctly file claims. Saves dealers
thousands of claim dollars annually.